Tuesday 17 July 2012

Idle time

I found myself with some idle time the other day. It doesn't happen much anymore and to be honest this idle time lasted for 6 minutes. Perhaps it was longer, but it took me a while to recognise the opportunity.
I was standing in our new house in Ballarat, and I was waiting for the removalists to arrive with our household. So I guess you could argue I was waiting, not just being idle. But it was when I stopped caring when the trucks would come around the corner that I realised that if I stopped actively waiting, I would have idle time.
A friend of mine blogged recently that idle time is important to the modern human, as there are too many things going on our lives and we would rid ourselves of stress if we added idle time into our lives. This is not a perfect quote, but her blog is linked on the side, so have a look.
Anyhow, this has stuck with me and was what prompted me to change myself from waiting (anxiously) for the removalists, to enjoying being idle. After all, I really couldn't do anything in an empty house except slow down and smell the cobwebs.
As I mentioned, after I realised I could be idle it was only 6 min until the trucks arrived, but those were precious minutes that I really enjoyed. They will stay with me as I try to organise our new house, set up our regional office, raise my two boys and all the things that comes with all of that. None of which offers any idle time.

No comments:

Post a Comment